Custom foliage, leaves and grass brush are useful for landscape painting. In this quick tutorial, I will show you the steps on how they can be easily create in Photoshop.
Draw the brush tip shape. These are the examples I draw earlier. In my own experience, tip shape of a bunch of leaves, grass work better.
Define Brush PresetConvert the image we draw by using, Edit > Define Brush Preset.
If you use old version of Photoshop (CS4). I believe you will need to crop away the white space first before define it at brush preset. New version of Photoshop will auto crop the image for us.
Shape Dynamic and ScatteringNow, select the new brush we just created. The brush currently is without any settings, so enable Shape Dynamics and Scattering
- Size Jitter - Randomise brush tip size. Control with Pen Pressure.
- Minimum Diameter - Minimum brush tip size.
- Angle Jitter - Randomise brush tip rotation. Usually people use Rotation or Direction settings.
- Roundness Jitter - Randomise brush tip shape roundness. It will squeeze the tip shape vertically.
- Minimum Roundness - Minimum brush shape roundness.
- Scatter - Randomise brush tip location. Enable Both Axes so it scatter on X and Y axis.
- Count - Number of brush tip scatter. Default 1 is good enough
Color DynamicsTo randomise/jitter the color we paint, we can use Color Dynamics.
- Foreground/Background Jitter - Randomise brush tip color between foreground and background color. Set it to 0 percent and control with Pen Pressure. Enable Apply Per Tip, if the option is available (Photoshop CC).
- Hue/Saturation/Brightness Jitter - Use a low value.
Saving The Brush SettingsAfter changing all the brush settings, we will need to save it again via New Brush Preset in the brush panel. If we don't do this, we will lose all the settings! Then under the brush panel again, choose Save Brushes to backup your whole set of brush.
To quickly delete the brush without settings, ALT-CLICK on it.
VideoBelow is video recording on creating custom Photoshop leaf and grass brush.
And this is a video showing using color dynamic brush to paint leaves quickly.
More Tutorial! Read my tutorials on how to use the new brushes you just created in anime tree painting and grass painting.
ReferenceYoutube Creating Custom Photoshop Leaf and Grass Brush
Youtube Painting Leaves Quickly with Color Dynamic Brush