Saw quite a lot of dramatic cloud this few days due to the monsoon season. It inspire me to start painting some cloud. So, I went to paint this happy cotton like cumulus cloud.
Below are screenshot of the progress/step. This isn’t really a full step by step tutorial, but should give you a clear view on how layering can help on painting clouds.
1) Paint the base sky color, I choose a cyan gradient.
2) Draw a base cloud shape. A scattering round brush would help on the smaller details. Or you can just use a custom brush.
3) Lock the layer transparency and paint darker shade of color near the edge of cloud which slowly fade to a brighter shade in the middle. A “texture/rough” blending will work better than a smooth blending.
4) Add another layer, draw another cloud shape which are slightly smaller than previous layer.
5) Apply the same shading style as in step (2), dark to bright.
6) Add another layer again and repeat the same steps.
8) And again
11) Last layer! Happy little cloud!
12) Add another layer behind everything, paint those soft blur puffy cloud.
Result are not that bad, but a bit too detail to my liking. Probably next time, I will try to paint less texture/detail on it so it can fit into anime background better.
Posted in Art and Design | Tags: Painting, Photoshop, Tutorial