Follow mclelun on Twitter +deviantWatch mclelun +fan mclelun +fan mclelun RSS Feed

FlashDevelop Molehill Away3D

Adobe just released the preview versions of Flash Player Incubator which support low level 3D API codenamed Molehill several days ago. After a bit of google, I managed to setup FlashDevelop to publish Molehill content. Below are the brief steps on how to setup everything.

Adobe just released Flash Player 11 beta 2 earlier this month and their “Molehill” 3D API is now known as “Stage 3D“. This blog entry is not applicable now, so please refer to my new blog entry about this topic FlashDevelop Stage3D Away3D.

Install Flash Player Incubator

To view Flash Molehill content, you will need to install the alpha version of new flash player.

Setup FlashDevelop with Flex Hero Framework and Away3D

To publish Flash Molehill content, you will need the new Flex Hero SDK. In my case, I will be using FlashDevelop and Away3D.

flash molehill

• Copy playerglobal.swc to [Flex Hero SDK Path]frameworks\libs\player\10.1. You will need to create the 10.1 folder

flash molehill

• Launch FlashDevelop and start a new AS3 Project. You can set your project folder to Away3D examples, if you downloaded them.
  • Go to Tools>Program Settings>AS3 Context>Flex SDK Location. Fill in the location where you extract Flex Hero SDK.

flash molehill

• Go to Project>Properties>Class Paths. Click Add Class Path and browse to the location where you extract Away3D 4.

flash molehill

• Go to Project>Properties>Output>Platform. Change Target to Flash Player 10.1.

flash molehill

• Go to Project>Properties>Output>Test Movie. Select Open document from dropdown list. Click Edit button and type in FlashDevelop output location, usually bin\index.html

flash molehill

• Go to Project>Properties>Compiler Options>Additional Compiler Options. Key in -swf-version=13

flash molehill

• Add wmode: “direct” parameter for swfobject in the output HTML which usually at [Project Path]bin\index.html. Software fallback will be used if you do not include this parameter.

flash molehill

• Done. Right click on any of Away3D example source files which can be found at [Project Path]src, choose Always compile and GO!

Problem?

• If you get error message like Type was not found or Call to a possibly undefined method. In FlashDevelop, open the libs folder in the project file list, right click and select Add To Library for both lib_simplegui.swc and MinimalComps_0_9_9.swc
  • If you get an error about LZMA Decoder, download it here. Then extract it to [Project Path]libs. In FlashDevelop, select apparat-lzma-decoder-1.0-RC9.swc in the project file list, right click and select Add To Library.
  • If you cant view the MD5 and MD2 examples, most probably the assets path is wrong. Just copy the assets folder from [Project Path]srcassets to [Project Path]bin

flash molehill

Comments

25 kind souls comment on “FlashDevelop Molehill Away3D”
Comments and share some love now!

1. […] un exemple sous Flash Develop […]

2. […] Player 11 compilation Posted on October 18, 2011 by Jeetendra Chauhan please click link for details. Share this:DiggRedditEmailPrintFacebookStumbleUponTwitterLike this:LikeBe the first to […]

3. […] 3D API is now known as “Stage 3D“. My old blog entry about setting up Flash Player Incubator with Away3D and Molehill is not applicable now, so I have to write a new entry on this […]

4. Peter.G says:

Hi! Finnaly I made everything you wrote and there were no errors but I still can’t SEE any example! All I have is empty web pages and empty SWF files. (I use Flex 4.5.1.21328)

5. Rene says:

Works perfect! thanks!

One question tho: my debugger in flashdevelop seems not to be responding to breakpoints anymore.. any clue how that might be related?

6. Abel says:

there’s some prob with my flash player, my web browser is telling me to instal flash player even though i have it!!!

7. Amazing says:

I compiled it fine just to see it shows alternative content instead of the .swf file :(
    How to fix that?

8. makc says:

Btw, you could just drop playerglobal in project folder, right-click it and “add to library”, then right-click again and set it as external in “options”. This way you dont have to overwrite anything in SDK.

9. Lukas A says:

Thanks for the great tutorial!!

regards,
    luk

10. Choons says:

Excellent article- I couldn’t have got it working without it. One question I have is if you have been able to get the debbugging working in FlashDevelop? Specifically I am trying to use breakpoints to watch the function call stack but I don’t get anything showing in the stack window. You have any advice?

11. s0d says:

if someone cant get working flash app in browser after Text movie, go here http://itblogs.pl/programowanieflash/ and download zip at below (DOWNLOAD). Extract it in project bin folder replace files and edit index.html, change CONFIG.swf on yours output file name save it and enjoy ;) works smoothly ;)

12. Linc says:

Great resource! Made it so easy to get up and running. I was pulling my hair out with all this pre-release stuff. Thanks!

13. yoav says:

Seems to work well,
    great tutorial,

14. Dean says:

Followed the tut and went over it again when I got a command line error.
    the call was

mxmlc -load-config+=obj\MolehillEgConfig.xml -debug=true -incremental=true -benchmark=false -static-link-runtime-shared-libraries=true -swf-version=13 -o obj\MolehillEg634373620504375000

and the error reads –

command line: Error: unknown configuration variable ‘swf-version’
    Use ‘mxmlc -help’ for information about using the command line.
    Build halted with errors (fcsh).

any Ideas?

15. Chris says:

@Ozgur
    Make sure that you downloaded the correct SDK build (4.5.0.19786). I had the same error until I realized that I had downloaded the wrong one.

16. Arkanoid says:

Thx, mclelun, just managed to fix that silly misconfig …

Specify that in this step of the tutorial :

You MUST select the /src folder, not the place where you extracted Away3D 4 ;)

I hope that helps to those that have about 70 erros in a file for the first compile!!

Ah, also when you “Run” an example, if it just don’t do, get the SWF on Examples_4_0_0_broomstick and just drag’n’drop in mozilla 4 ;)

Great tutorial!

17. mclelun says:

@Arkanoid
    The error mean that you are missing the away3d 4 library.

18. Arkanoid says:

if i get lots of those:

C:\Users\vicioso\Desktop\Desarrollo\examples_4_0_0_broomstick\src\AnimatedBitmapMaterialTest.as(29): col: 23 Error: Type was not found or was not a compile-time constant: View3D.
    private var _view : View3D;
    ^
    C:\Users\vicioso\Desktop\Desarrollo\examples_4_0_0_broomstick\src\AnimatedBitmapMaterialTest.as(30): col: 22 Error: Type was not found or was not a compile-time constant: ObjectContainer3D.
    private var _ctr : ObjectContainer3D;
    ^
    ¿¿What the hell is misconfigured??

Just followed your guide step by step .. :(

The first one in the problems section don’t fixed that..

19. nnjt says:

Thanks a lot for this tutorial! Getting my hands dirty now..

20. mclelun says:

@Ozgur
    Make sure it is -swf-version=13, not swf-version

@Rea
    The error mean that there are missing library/framework which is not included in your project class path.

21. Rea says:

Still getting Type was not found errors after doing everything in this blog. Specifically in all examples I’ve tried so far from the Away3D 4.0 broomstick examples.

22. Ozgur says:

command line: Error: unknown configuration variable ‘swf-version’
    Use ‘mxmlc -help’ for information about using the command line.
    Build halted with errors (fcsh).

Your comment

Ideas, suggestion and criticism.